Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs with Shaved Carrot Salad
From a fan's fridge to the Chew kitchen!
- step-by-step directions
Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs:
- 1 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons thyme (leaves only, finely chopped)
- 8 chicken thighs (bone in, skin-on)
- 1/4 cup parsley (finely chopped, to garnish)
- 1/2 cup store-bought tzatziki (to garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
Shaved Carrot Salad:
- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 4 large carrots (peeled, shaved into long strips)
- 1 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs: Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Remove the chicken thighs from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking and allow to come to room temperature.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the orange juice, zest, honey, hot sauce and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until glaze has thickened slightly, about 5-6 minutes. Remove half of the glaze to a bowl and set both aside until ready to use.
- In a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Place the chicken thighs, skin-side down in the pan and cook until skin is crispy and golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Flip the chicken thighs and brush tops of thighs with the glaze in the saucepan. Transfer pan to the oven and roast until juices run clear and internal temperature registers 165ºF, about 30-40 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Transfer to a platter with the shaved carrot salad and drizzle some of the reserved orange glaze over the chicken. Dollop the tzatziki on top of the chicken thighs and garnish with parsley.
- For the Shaved Carrot Salad: Using a paring knife, cut the ends off the orange and discard. Stand the orange up and cut down the sides following the natural curvature of the orange, ensuring you cut off all pith. Discard peels. Working over a bowl, cut out the orange segments in between each membrane and allow segments to fall into bowl. Measure out 2 tablespoons of orange juice that has collected at the bottom of the bowl and remove to separate, medium bowl. Reserve orange segments.
- In the medium bowl with the orange juice, add apple cider vinegar, mustard and whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking to combine, until emulsified. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, toss together the mixed greens, shaved carrots, reserved orange segments, and feta cheese. Drizzle the vinaigrette around the edge of the bowl and toss to coat the salad. Season with salt and pepper if necessary and serve!
- Tip: For extra crispy skin, salt the chicken thighs the day before and allow to sit, uncovered, in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
rate this recipe
Pan-Roasted Ribeye with Radishes
Grilled Hot dog with Corn Relish and Pickled Red Onion
Summertime Ambrosia Salad
Baked Brie Bread
Grilled Pork Medallions with Plum Sauce
Grilled Peach Frozen Yogurt Sundae
Pina Colada Pie
Cajun Salmon with Red Beans and Rice
Pork Medallions with Marsala Pan Sauce
Sheet Pan Greek Chicken Salad
Chocolate Pancake Roll