Spicy-Sweet Chicken Stew
Carla's flavorful chicken stew is so good, it'll blow you mind!
- step-by-step directions
Spicy-Sweet Chicken Stew
- 1 Habanero Chile
- 1 ; 28 ounce Can Whole San Marzano Tomatoes
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for frying)
- 1 ; 3-lb Chicken Cut Into 8 Pieces (2 Wings; 2 Breasts; 2 Drumsticks; 2 Thighs)
- Kosher Salt
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 medium Red Bell Pepper (stemmed; seeded & finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (finely chopped)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 3 1/2 cup Water
- 1 ripe Banana (peeled)
- 1 ripe Mango (peeled & pitted)
- Lime Wedges (to garnish)
- Cut a small slit in the Chile & set aside. Empty the can of Tomatoes into a large bowl. Gently squeeze the Tomatoes with your hands to crush them into large chunks. Set the Tomatoes aside.
- Fill a large Dutch oven or flameproof casserole with Oil to a depth of 1/8 inch, and heat it over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. The Oil should dimple and have wavy lines. Season the Chicken generously with Salt & add it to the hot oil, skin side down, spacing the pieces apart. Don't crowd the pan; work in batches if you have to.
- Reduce the heat to medium. When the skin is dark golden brown, turn the pieces over. Continue cooking until the bottom is dark golden brown. Transfer the Chicken to a plate.
- Add the Onion, Bell Pepper, Garlic, 1/4 teaspoon Salt, and a pinch of Black Pepper to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until the Onion is nice and soft, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the Bay Leaves, Thyme, and Habanero Chile. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the Water and Tomatoes. Heat to a boil, then adjust the heat to maintain a steady simmer.
- Nestle the Chicken pieces in the sauce, skin side up, and add any accumulated juices from the plate. The sauce shouldn't cover the skin. Partially cover the pan and simmer until the Chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. If some pieces are done before others, remove them first and place them on a plate.
- While the Chicken cooks, puree the Banana and Mango in a food processor or blender until smooth. Stir the mixture into the sauce when the Chicken is done.
- Remove and discard the Chile and Bay Leaves from the stew, and serve hot with Lime Wedges.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Spicy Chicken Dishes Chicken Chilis & Soups Courses & Meals Dinner Soups & Stews Chicken
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat