Spooky Eye-Ball Sandwiches
Make your meatballs extra spooky in these eye-ball sandwiches!
- step-by-step directions
Spooky Eye-Ball Sandwiches
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Pecorino Romano cheese (freshly grated)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 large clove garlic (finely grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup stale Italian bread (cut into cubes, soaked in milk)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 jars marinara sauce (store-bought, or use your own homemade recipe!)
- 20 mini club rolls or dinner rolls (cut in half crosswise)
- 1 ball mozzarella (cut into thin slices, then cut into quarter-sized rounds)
- 1 jar pimento-stuffed green olives (sliced into rounds)
- fresh red-stained spaghetti (stained with beet juice)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large bowl, add the ground chuck, sirloin and pork. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, add the eggs, ricotta, Pecorino Romano cheese, parsley, garlic, and oregano. Squeeze excess liquid from the soaked bread and add it to the bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add mixture to ground meat. Season with salt and pepper and mix to combine until it just comes together, making sure not to over mix. (If mixture feels too moist and will fall apart when frying, then add some dry breadcrumbs.)
- Form meatballs into rounds a little bigger than a golf ball. Place on a dish and let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet or sauté pan, and place over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry the meatballs until dark golden brown on all sides.
- Meanwhile, add the marinara sauce to a medium pot and bring to a simmer. Add the browned meatballs and bring back to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for about an hour.
- To assemble the eyeballs, place one round slice of mozzarella on a warm meatball, so it sticks. Add a slice of olive on top of the mozzarella round to make an eyeball. Repeat with one more meatball. Add some sauce on the bottom of one Club roll. Place 2 decorated meatball eyes on top and top with bun. Serve Spooky Eye-Ball Sandwiches with "Bloody Worms."
- For the Bloody Worms: cook the pasta according to package instructions. Serve with sauce over the top.
- Use a water bottle top to cut out round shapes for the mozzarella eyeballs.
- If you have leftover bread, cut it into cubes, place in a ziptop bag and store in the freezer. Remove from freezer and defrost when making meatballs!
Similar categories: Ingredients Beef Pork Pasta Spaghetti Eggs Courses & Meals Dinner Pizza & Pasta Beef Pork Holidays & Occasions Halloween
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat