Squash and Goat Cheese Tartlets
So cute and delicious, you can't just have one!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion (finely diced)
Quick Tomato Jam:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 lemon (zested)
Goat Cheese Mix:
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed, cut into 12 pieces)
- 2 tablespoon milk (divided)
- 2 small zucchini (thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 5 ounce log goat cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (leaves)
- 1 teaspoon tarragon (leaves, chopped)
- 2 large eggs (divided)
- 2 small summer squash (thinly sliced lengthwise)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease a 12-cup mini cupcake tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Caramelized Onions: Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add butter and oil, once bubbling add onions, cook over medium low heat until caramelized and brown, stirring occasionally about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Tomato Jam: Heat a sauce pot over medium heat, add tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, cook about 20 minutes until thickened. Remove and allow to cool.
- Goat Cheese Mix: Roll the puff pastry out into a 12 x 9 inch square. Cut into 3-inch squares so you have 12 squares total. Press a puff pastry square into each mold making sure the sides and bottom are pressed down to make a well for the filling. Using a fork, poke the bottom of each pastry.
- In a small bowl add 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of milk and beat to make an egg wash. Brush the puff pastry with egg wash and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the goat cheese, thyme, tarragon, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon milk and caramelized onions. Season with salt and pepper. Put filling into a piping bag.
- Using the piping bag, divide the goat cheese mixture into the bottom of each mini tart shell. Dollop 1 heaping teaspoon of tomato jam on top of the goat cheese mixture.
- On a flat surface, stack 2 strips of zucchini, with 1 strip of summer squash sandwiched between. Tightly roll into a spiral like a rosette. Place in the mini tart shell with the skin of the vegetables facing up. Repeat with remaining zucchini and squash strips until you have filled all the tart shells. Drizzle each tart evenly with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake until the dough is golden brown and the custard is set, about 15-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer the mini tarts to a platter.
- Tip: This dish would be great with carrots, eggplant and bell peppers as well, pick your favorites and make it yours!
rate this recipe
Fried Rice Chicken Sandwiches
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa