Stuffed Turkey with Shiitake Mushrooms and Blood Orange
A great alternative to your classic turkey!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 turkey breast half (skin-on, boned and butterflied)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus 2 tablespoons, divided)
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage (removed from casing)
- 4 onion (peeled, 1 diced, 3 thinly sliced)
- 2 ribs celery (thinly sliced)
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 1 cups bread crumbs (TK type not specified)
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano (freshly grated)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons sage leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 cups dry white wine (divided)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Frisee and Shiitake Salad with Blood Orange:
- 4 blood oranges (2 segmented, 2 juiced and zested, juices reserved)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms (very thinly sliced)
- 2 heads frisee (cored)
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- For the Stuffed Turkey: Pound the butterflied breasts to flatten to 1/2-inch thick, then season with salt and pepper and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a 12-14-inch saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat until the oil starts to smoke. Add the Italian sausage, onion and celery and cook until golden brown, 7-9 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms start to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool, about 20 minutes.
- Add the bread crumbs, Parmigiano-Reggiano, eggs, nutmeg, rosemary and sage. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Place the turkey on a cutting board skin side down and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place the stuffing on top and roll the breast like a jelly roll and using butcher's twine, tie them firmly in several places.
- Add the sliced onions to the bottom of the roasting pan and season with salt and pepper. Place rolled turkey breast on top of the onions, skin side up. Add the wine to the the bottom of the pan and drizzle turkey and onions with 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Place roasting pan in the oven and roast until dark golden brown outside or until a meat thermometer reads 165ºF at the thickest part of the breast, about 1 hour.
- Remove and allow to rest 15 minutes before carving.
- Carve the roast into 1/2-inch slices and drizzle with the sauce accumulated in the bottom of the pan.
- For the Frisee and Shiitake Salad with Blood Orange: In a large bowl, whisk together the blood orange zest and juice, Dijon mustard and drizzle in olive oil, while continuing to whisk until emulsified. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms, frisee, blood orange segments, and parsley, tossing until salad is coated in dressing.
- Serve the stuffed turkey with roasted onions and the frisee salad on the side.
- Tip: Get creative! Stuff the turkey with your favorite combination of sauteed vegetables!
rate this recipe
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa
Turkey Chili Burger