Carla's flaky, buttery cookies are delicious and easy. This kid friendly recipe can be made in a matter of minutes, so you can spend your time decorating and eating the cookies.
- step-by-step directions
- For the Sugar Cookies:
- 3/4 pound Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
For the Royal Icing:
- 1 pound Confectioners Sugar
- 5 tablespoon Meringue Powder
- 1/4 cup Water
- For the Sugar Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, lemon zest, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the butter and sugar until just combined. (Do not whip.) Add the vanilla. Gradually add in flour mixture on low just until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a piece of plastic wrap and flatten to a disk. Wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough ¼ inch thick and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with course sugar if this is the last step.
- Bake the cookies for 20 – 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown or the cookies are crisp. Allow to cool at room temperature. Decorate with colored royal icing, if desired.
- For the Royal Icing: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together sugar and meringue powder until combined. Add the water and beat at a medium speed until very glossy and stiff peaks form. If the icing fails to create the right consistency, add more sugar or water. Use immediately.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Desserts Cookies Holidays & Occasions Halloween Valentine's Day Christmas Christmas Cookies
rate this recipe
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Asian-Stuffed Mushrooms with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresco with Basil Simple Syrup
Strawberry, Vanilla, and Cookie Dough Milkshake
Amaretto and Chocolate Chip Milkshake
Pepper Steak with Broccoli Stem Salad
Peanut Butter Espresso Milkshake
Grilling Three Ways
Cajun Scallops with Grits and Tomatoes
Classic, Dry, Extra Dry or Extra Extra Dry Martini