Super Cheesy Macaroni
There's regular mac & cheese, then there's the Greenberg Family's amped up Cheesy Macaroni you won't want to miss!
- step-by-step directions
Super Cheesy Macaroni
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 cups whole milk (plus more as needed)
- 10 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese (divided, half shredded)
- 10 ounces sharp yellow cheddar cheese (divided, half shredded)
- 1 pound deli sliced white American cheese (divided, half cubed)
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 12 tablespoons salted butter (cubed, divided, plus more as needed)
- 1 pound deli sliced sharp white American cheese
- 3 ounces soft American cheese block
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish with butter making sure to coat the edges.
- Season a large pot of boiling water with a generous amount of salt. Cook pasta 2 minutes short of package instructions. Drain and pour into the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium sauce pot, combine the milk, the shredded cheddar cheeses, and the cubed white American cheese. Season with salt and bring to a simmer until the cheeses are melted and the sauce is thick. Pour over the pasta and stir to coat.
- Cut the other half of the sliced white American cheese into ribbons. Toss into the cheese pasta to evenly distribute then work in the whisked egg by hand.
- Cut the remaining blocks of cheddar cheese into 12 cubes each. Evenly distribute the cheese into the pasta by gently pressing each piece in with your fingers. Repeat with the 8 tablespoons of the cubed butter.
- Then melt the 1 pound of sharp white American cheese in a sauce pot with the remaining butter and about a cup of milk to create a thick cheese sauce. Stir in the soft American cheese block making sure the sauce is not too orange. Pour over the pasta.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake until for 30 minutes or until pasta is no longer wet looking. Remove the foil and turn the oven to broil. Cook under the broiler for a few minutes to achieve a slight golden color on top.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
- Make the cheese sauces ahead of time and warm them on the day of.
Similar categories: Ingredients Pasta Macaroni Courses & Meals Dinner Pizza & Pasta Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Sides Christmas
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat