Use turkey in a different way for your Thanksgiving meal or even for leftovers!
- step-by-step directions
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (finely chopped or grated)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1/2 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (divided)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 pound fresh pasta sheets (cut into rectangles measuring 4 inches by 6 inches)
- 1 recipe Mario's Besciamella Sauce
- 1 recipe Mario's Basic Tomato Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large skillet or high-sided sauté pan, add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned about 8 minutes. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, thyme and nutmeg, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup Besciamella Sauce, 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and egg. Stir to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Drop the prepared pasta sheets, one at a time, into the boiling water. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove pasta to an ice bath to cool completely. Drain the blanched pasta sheets. Place blanched pasta sheets in an even layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Working with one pasta rectangle at a time, spread about 1/4 cup of filling down the center. Roll the pasta sheet tightly, in the style of a jelly roll, leaving the ends open. Repeat until you have 12 cannelloni.
- In a 9inch x 13inch casserole dish, spread half of the Basic Tomato Sauce across the bottom in an even layer. Carefully lay each cannelloni in the casserole in two rows of 6. Top with the remaining Basic Tomato Sauce, then the Besciamella Sauce. Finish with 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the sauces and cheese are bubbling and the edges of the pasta are crispy and browned. Serve with more Parmigiano-Reggiano and nutmeg freshly grated over the top.
- Helpful Tip: make this dish with leftover turkey the day after Thanksgiving!
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Turkey Pasta Courses & Meals Dinner Pizza & Pasta Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Turkey Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat