Turkey Shepherd's Pie
Serve up Clinton's easy-to-make take on this traditional comfort food!
- step-by-step directions
Turkey Shepherd's Pie
- 2 heads cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 4 cloves garlic
- Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 1 pound ground turkey (mix of dark and white meat)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons thyme (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place whole garlic cloves in a sheet of foil and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast until softened, about 25 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes, until fork tender. Drain cauliflower. Puree the cauliflower, roasted garlic, olive oil, yogurt and parmesan until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium cast iron pan, add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the onions, carrots and celery, sauté until translucent. Add the turkey, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned and cooked through. Add in the tomato paste and allow to cook for 3 minutes, until rich in color.
- Sprinkle the meat with flour and toss to coat, cooking another minute. Add in the red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan and cook for another 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, rosemary and peas. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn on the broiler. Top meat mixture with roasted cauliflower puree and place under broiler until golden and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Build the shepherd’s pie, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Place in the oven to warm and then place under the broiler.
- For a heartier version, use ground beef and replace the cauliflower puree with mashed potatoes.
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs