Carla Hall's Walnut Cake is to die for!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 cup walnut pieces (ground to 1/2 cup walnut powder)
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour (divided, plus more for dusting pans)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter (softened, plus 1 tablespoon to grease pan)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 orange (zested)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- powdered sugar (to dust)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease an 9-inch cake pan with butter and dust with flour and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor add the walnuts and 1/4 cup flour and pulse until finely ground to a powder. Remove from the processor to a large bowl and set aside. Wipe out the food processor.
- To the ground walnuts, add the remaining flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of the food processor add the butter and sugar and pulse until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the eggs, vanilla, orange zest and maple syrup and process until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and pulse until just combined. While the machine is running, drizzle in the buttermilk and continue to process until the batter just comes together.
- Remove to the cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake is golden brown. Remove to a baking rack to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
- Tip: Try using your favorite nut ground into a fine powder in this cake.
rate this recipe
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa
Turkey Chili Burger