Yankee Pot Roast
What is better then a nice, hearty Yankee Pot Roast made by Mario Batali?
- step-by-step directions
Yankee Pot Roast
- 1 chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces salt pork (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and cut 2-inch chunks)
- 2 medium onions (peeled, quartered)
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
- 1 pound small red-skin potatoes (halved)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chives (thinly sliced to garnish)
- slider potato rolls (to serve)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Generously season the roast with salt and pepper. In a large, ovenproof heavy pot or Dutch oven, add the oil and heat over medium heat. Add the salt pork and cook until rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove the salt pork, but leave all the fat in the pot. Turn the heat to medium-high and brown each side of the roast, 8-10 minutes per side.
- Return the rendered salt pork pieces to the pot, along with the carrots, onions, wine, 2 cups of the stock, rosemary and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover, and roast in the oven for 2 hours. Check occasionally to make sure there is plenty of liquid in the pot. If it gets low, add more stock or water. After 2 hours, add the potatoes, and bake, uncovered for another 30 minutes.
- Transfer the meat and vegetables to a platter. Put the pot over medium-high heat and bring the liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, whisk the flour into the remaining 1/2 cup of room-temperature stock. Pull the pot off the heat, whisk in the slurry, then return to the heat and continue whisking until the gravy thickens.
- Garnish the meat and vegetables with chives. Serve with the gravy on the side and potato rolls.
- Tip: 1. Substitute pancetta if you can't find salt pork.
- 2. Try making this dish in your slow cooker. Just render the salt pork and sear the meat before adding it to the slow cooker. Turn on low and allow to cook until meat is tender.
rate this recipe
Mushroom and Shrimp Stuffed Shells with Pesto Bechamel Sauce
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallions and Pepitas
Lemon Bar Slab Pie
Cheesy Chicken Sliders
Fried Rigatoni Poppers with Sausage
Rose Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Zucchini
Herb Rosti with Fresh Tomato Basil Salad
Cheesy Caprese Potato Bake
Halibut with Beefsteak Tomatoes
Guacamole with Savory Corn Cakes
Fried Eggplant Sandwiches with Harissa
Turkey Chili Burger