Johnny Iuzzini challenges the bakers to use his chocolate to create the perfect holiday gifts – boxes of chocolate truffles. As part of the challenge some instructions on how to make the truffles were omitted. However, we have a gift for you. Below is Johnny's full recipe that you can try at home! Watch the full episode of " Chocolate Week" from Season 2 Episode 5 of The Great American Baking Show.
Dark Chocolate Banana, Coconut & Rum Ganache
2 oz banana, sliced
½ oz butter
½ oz sugar
1 tablespoon spiced rum
3 oz condensed milk
1 oz heavy cream
1 oz milk
1 ½ oz glucose syrup
6 oz milk chocolate, finely chopped
6 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
1 ½ oz desiccated coconut, toasted
white chocolate – for coating
bittersweet chocolate – for decorating
1. Flambé the banana in the butter, rum & sugar.
2. Meanwhile warm the heavy cream, condensed milk, milk and glucose in a pan
3. Add the flambéed bananas, then puree until very smooth, using a hand blender. Bring the mixture to the boil.
4. Slowly stir the hot mixture in to the center of the chopped chocolate making sure to create and maintain an emulsion.
5. Stir the warm toasted coconut into the ganache. Cover with plastic film and leave to set.
6. Once the ganache is set, spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1 cm pastry- piping tip. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and pipe little rounds onto the parchment. Chill until set.
7. Temper the white chocolate.
8. Dip the banana, coconut and Rum truffles in tempered white chocolate, and then transfer to a cooling rack and leave to set.
9. Temper the bittersweet chocolate.
10. Spoon the bittersweet chocolate into a small piping bag made of baking parchment. Snip off the end and pipe very fine stripes across the truffles.