Jennie Dembowski has never really eaten pavlova until the "Custard and Meringue Week" showstopper bake. For the challenge she is making a Rose Water Pistachio Pavlova topped with whipped cream and a cranberry compote. She is hoping to get the texture just right and make judge Mary Berry proud. Watch the full episode of "Custard and Meringue Week" from Season 2 Episode 6 of The Great American Baking Show.
Pistachio Rosewater Pavlova:
½ cup (65 grams) chopped unsalted pistachios
5 large egg whites (150 grams) at room temperature
2 tsp corn starch
¼ tsp Baleine fine sea salt
1-¼ cup (225 grams) granulated sugar
1-½ tsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp rosewater
Cranberry Topping for Pistachio Rosewater Pavlova:
1-½ cup cold heavy cream
½ tsp rosewater
½ cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean (scrape seeds)
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
½ cup water
½ cup chopped pistachios
Cranberry Pistachio Rosewater Petite Pavlovas:
1. Preheat the oven to 350º F / 180º C.
2. Line baking sheet with silpat. Pulse pistachios in food processor.
3. Beat egg whites, cornstarch, and fine sea salt at high speed until foamy.
4. Beat in the sugar, vinegar, and rose water until mixture is glossy and soft peaks form (up to 10 minutes).
5. Add mixture to piping bag fitted with #1M Wilton tip, and pipe design onto prepared cookie sheet.
6. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios.
7. Lower oven temperature to 300º F / 150º C. Bake for 35 minutes, until exterior is dry and crisp, but slightly chewy on the inside. Turn oven off and let meringue rest in the oven for 45 minutes.
Cranberry Topping for Pistachio Pavlova:
1. Make the cranberry compote by combining cranberries, sugar, and water in saucepan. Bring mixture to a simmer until cranberries have softened. Refrigerate to cool.
2. Whip heavy cream, vanilla bean seeds, rosewater, and ½ cup sugar on high speed until soft peaks form.
Cranberry Pistachio Rosewater Petite Pavlovas Assembly:
1. Once meringues are cool, pipe whipped cream in center, then top with cranberry compote. Garnish with chopped pistachios.