On the January 9th 2014 episode of The View Rosie O. and Barbara Walter took our viewers to Crafty U. Check out what they made and how you can do the same at home.
Shrinky Dink 101
What You’ll Need
- A computer with a photo editing application
- An inkjet printer
- A toaster oven
- A hole punch
- Oven glove
- Permanent marker
- Shrink art paper from local craft store
- On your computer, pick a photo(s) (ones with not a lot of dark colors work best).
- Copy/paste those photos (in some kind of graphic editor application) so that they would easily fit on an 8.5 x11 piece of paper. A 5” x 8” photo makes the best product so approx. 2 photos will fit on a page.
- Set printer settings to glossy photo paper, and "best" print mode
- Lighten the photos 50% using the graphic editor application. This is important, as the photos get darker as they shrink, so you want to print them with a washed out look.
- Print on your shrink-art paper.
- Once printed, you can cut the photos out, and if you desire, draw on them to decorate with any permanent markers.
- Punch a hole with a paper punch (so it can be hung or turned into jewelry later)
- Preheat a toaster to 325 degrees
- Put the Shrinky Dink project into the toaster oven and bake for 3 minutes
- When they are done shrinking and lie flat, remove them from the oven and press them flat with a spatula, until it cools
Calling all crafters: Rosie O’Donnell is challenging YOU! Do you think you have what it takes to make it into Rosie’s ‘Crafty U’? Prove it! Create your best craft and send us a photo of your masterpiece. It could end up on The View. Get creative—it can be any type of craft! On your mark, get set, GO! Click here to enter.