Patti's Simple and Delicious Peach Cobbler
Yield: 6-8 servings
4 cans 29-ounce cans sliced peaches, drained
3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
3 tablespoons agave
1 orange / zest
2 pinches kosher salt
1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus for dusting the work surface
2 eggs 2 packages of 2/ready-made pie crusts (total of 4 individual crusts)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Coat a clean, flat surface with AP flour and roll out 3 pieces of the ready-made pie crust, large enough to cover the baking pan and set aside.
3. Next place a large skillet over medium heat and melt a 1⁄2 stick of butter, add the peaches, agave, kosher salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon and mix well.
4. Bring to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside until it cools down and is warm.
5. Coat a 13 by 9 inch baking pan with 1⁄2 stick of butter, whip the 2 egg yolks together and set aside.
6. Place one sheet of the rolled out pie crust in the baking dish.
7. Pour half of the peach mixture into the pan until the bottom layer of pie crust is covered. Next, grate zest from 1⁄2 of orange on top of peaches. Cover the peaches with the 2nd rolled out pie crust, bake cobbler in the oven for 15 minutes until it's light brown.
8. Pour the other half of the peach mixture into the baking dish on top of the crust and repeat the process of zesting with 1⁄2 orange followed by placing the third piece of the dough over the next layer of peaches.
9. Brush the top of the crust with the egg wash and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Poke a couple of holes in the crust to allow hot steam/air to escape from the pie, which allows crust to cook and lay evenly.
10. Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 35- 40 minutes until golden brown and peach juices start to bubble.